Malta permanent residents are allowed to live in Malta as long as they maintain their residency status, and they are allowed to apply for a Malta work permit and participate in the social services system.
The Malta permanent residency does not lead to Malta citizenship or the Malta passport (the EU passport). Malta permanent residents may file a citizenship application after six years in PR status, but there are no guarantees an application for citizenship will be approved - which is a process that can take 10 to 15 years or longer to complete.
Investors who are interested in Malta (EU) citizenship (dual citizenship / a second passport) can apply under Malta's citizenship by investment program.
International business people, investors, freelancers and retirees worldwide consider Malta permanent residency a powerful asset and/or safety net should the living conditions at home become undesirable.
Foreign applicants for Malta permanent residency (MPRP) must meet the following criteria:
- Buy or rent real estate in Malta or Gozo
- Pay the government application fee and contribution
- Make a philanthropic donation
- Pass a stringent due diligence process
- Have a clean criminal record
- Have a valid health insurance policy
- Pose no political or medical health risk to Malta
- Prove ownership of at least €500,000 in assets (real estate/stocks/bank deposits/other)
Can you get permanent residency in Malta through an investment? Yes, the Malta MPRP Permanent Residence Programme provides qualifying investors with the opportunity to obtain permanent residency status in Malta. To be eligible, applicants must meet certain criteria, including having a clean criminal record, successfully passing all due diligence checks, making an investment in Malta real estate, making a philanthropic donation, and covering the necessary application and legal fees. The processing time for the permanent residency program typically ranges from three to six months. However, it's important to note that participating in the Malta MPRP permanent residency program does not automatically grant individuals Malta citizenship or the Maltese passport. For Malta citizenship by investment you may want to apply under the Granting of Citizenship for Exceptional Services Regulations (CES/MEIN).
Main Points: Malta investment residency1. Permanent residency in Malta
2. Application process of 3-6 months
3. Malta real estate rental or purchase
4. Pass all due diligence checks
5. Clean criminal record required
6. Health insurance required
7. €500,000 worth of assets required
8. Not leading to Malta citizenship/passport
Because the Malta immigration by investment program details can change over time please contact us about the current rules and regulations.
Click here for the Malta citizenship by investment program. Click here for the Malta residency programs.
To start the application process online please register here.
For a detailed cost estimate or to schedule a confidential consultation please use our contact form.
Other articles in this series: