Investment Immigration

Phone: +356 9950 5515

WhatsApp & Telegram: +356 9991 4125

WeChat 微信: ZenturoSupport


Free education for EU citizens

Rights to a free education for EU citizens

August 2019. Updated 2024: Is attending high school or university free for EU citizens?

Answer: Yes. EU citizens enjoy free access to world-renowned, public education programs in any of the EU member countries. This includes kindergarten to high school to public university.

To use a concrete example: You recently filed for Malta citizenship for yourself, your spouse, and your children. Your application has been processed, approved, and the passports have been issued. Now, Malta has excellent (English language) schools, including the University of Malta, which are available to you. Also see our article about the Malta education system here

However, you might prefer to enroll your children in Germany (or any other EU country) as you have heard that the public school system is very good there. But you have a Malta  passport – so how does this work?

There are several options to get your children educated in the EU. Here are three of the most popular procedures:

First, in order to enjoy entirely free (or very low) tuition/fees in any EU member country you would become a resident of this EU member country. This means you would move there with your family so that your children become local residents. To continue our example case, if you prefer the public education system of Germany you would move your family to Germany and then enroll your children in any public school there.

The second option entails not moving to Germany, but sending your kids to school there. In other words, you have received your new EU passport, but wish to continue living in your original country of residence. This is fine as well, and you can still enroll your children in a German university, but in this case you might have to pay a higher “international student” tuition rate and fees.

The third option is the Erasmus Program. This program allows students to start their studies in one country, but then change universities to study for up to one year in another country. As of 2024, more than 5,000 higher institutions across 37 countries are participating in the Erasmus program, which means your children could start school at your present location and then switch to a German university participating in the Erasmus program.

As there are many options available please don’t hesitate to contact us with your specific questions.

Because immigration by investment programs can change over time please contact us to speak with an advisor or to receive a preliminary quotation. The information provided in this blog post is intended for educational and informational purposes only. It should not be construed as legal or financial advice.

Click here for the Malta citizenship by investment program. Click here for the Malta residency programs.

To start the application process online please register here.

For a detailed cost estimate or to schedule a confidential consultation please use our contact form.

Zenturo Ltd.

Residency & Citizenship by Investment Programs Worldwide

394A / 395A, Triq il-Kbira San Guzepp
Santa Venera, SVR 1016

Client Testimonials / Google Reviews

Phone: +356 9950 5515
WhatsApp: +356 9991 4125
Telegram: +356 9991 4125
WeChat 微信: ZenturoSupport
Skype: Zenturo Ltd. Support

Service Inquiries:
General Counsel:

Company Registration No.: C-39472
VAT ID: MT-18142026

All of our Malta immigration attorneys are government-licensed
Authorised Registered Mandatories.
License: AKM-BALD

Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Watch our videos on YouTube

Immigration by Investment Press Coverage: